My Health Care Glossary
Hello, my name is Fritzie, and I am studying Nursing in Montmorency. I am at my last session, yay! During this critical time, nursing students have a heavy burden on their shoulders. We are involved in the care, treatment, recovery and well-being of people hospitalized. This glossary will be useful to understand the nursing language in which I navigate every day. Google and my books have been my best friend for this glossary. Let yourself be carried away in this range of scientific words
- ache
- noun/verb
- Pain that won't go away.
- Example: I can't sleep because my knees ache in the night.
- en: douleur

- amnesia
- noun
- A condition that causes people to lose their memory.
- Example: I can't remember the accident because I had amnesia.
- en: amnésie

- anaemic
- adj
- Occurs when the body doesn't have enough red blood cells.
- Example: I have low energy because I am anaemic.
- en: anémique
- antibiotics
- noun
- Medication that kills bacteria and cures infections.
- Example: My throat infection went away after I started the antibiotics.
- en: antibiotique
- arthritis
- noun
- A disease that causes the joints to become swollen and crippled.
- Example: My grandmother can't knit anymore because the arthritis in her hands is so bad.
- en: arthrite

- blood pressure
- noun
- The pressure of the blood in the circulatory system, often measured for diagnosis since it is closely related to the force and rate of the heartbeat and the diameter and elasticity of the arterial walls.
- Example: High blood pressure puts you at risk of having a heart attack.
- en: pression artérielle
- bruise
- An injury appearing as an area of discolored skin on the body, caused by a blow or impact rupturing underlying blood vessels.an injury appearing as an area of discolored skin on the body, caused by a blow or impact rupturing underlying blood vessels.
- Example: The woman was badly bruised when she came into the emergency room.
- en: hématome
- cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
- noun
- Restoring a person's breath and circulation.
- en: réanimation cardiorespiratoire

- diagnosis
- noun
- Medical explanation of an illness or condition.
- Example: The doctor would prefer to share the diagnosis with the patient himself.
- en: diagnostic
.jpg)
- immune system
- noun
- The parts of the body that fight diseases, infections, and viruses.
- Example: You can't have visitors because your immune system is low.
- en: système immunitaire
- life support
- noun
- A machine that keeps patients alive by helping them breathe.
- Example: The woman has severe brain damage and is currently on life support.
- en: soutien de la vie

- malignant
- adj
- Expected to grow and get much worse (especially related to cancerous cells).
- Example: I'm afraid at least one of the tumours is malignant.
- en: maligne

- pain killer
- noun
- Type of medicine that takes away some or all of the discomfort of an illness or injury.
- Example: You can take two pain killers every four hours.
- en: antidouleur

- paralyzed
- adj
- Unable to move certain areas of the body.
- Example: We thought her legs were paralyzed for life, but she is learning how to walk.
- en: paralyser

- prescription
- noun
- The correct amount and type of medication needed to cure an illness or relieve symptoms.
- Example: You will need to visit your doctor to get another prescription.
- en: prescription pharmaceutique
- scrubs
- noun
- Plain uniform (usually green, white, or blue) worn by medical professionals.
- Example: I have some extra scrubs in my locker.
- en: uniforme

- seizure
- noun
- Sudden violent movements or unconsciousness caused by electrical signal malfunction in the brain.
- Example: People who suffer from epilepsy are prone to seizures.
- en: crise
- side effects
- noun
- Other symptoms that might occur as a result of a certain medication or procedure.
- Example: One of the side effects of antidepressants is a loss of appetite.
- en: effets secondaires

- unconscious
- adj
- Alive, but appearing to be asleep and unaware of the surroundings.
- en: inconscient
- vein
- noun
- The thin tubes that transport blood around the body and back to the heart.
- Example: I'm just looking for the best vein in which to insert the needle.
- en: veine
